Introduction: Hair scissors are the lifeblood of every hairstylist’s toolkit. To maintain their sharpness and precision, proper care is essential. In this blog, we’ll explore the art of scissor care and share tips on how to extend the life of your hair scissors.
- Cleaning and Sanitizing: After each use, it’s crucial to clean your hair scissors thoroughly. Use a soft cloth or a brush to remove any hair clippings and residue from the blades and pivot area. Avoid using harsh chemicals that could damage the scissor’s finish. Instead, opt for mild soapy water or a specialized scissor cleaner. Regular sanitization helps maintain a hygienic working environment and ensures the longevity of your scissors.
- Lubrication: Proper lubrication is essential to keep your hair scissors functioning smoothly. Apply a few drops of scissor oil to the pivot area and work the blades to distribute the oil evenly. Lubrication prevents friction, reduces wear and tear, and prolongs the scissor’s life. Remember to wipe off any excess oil to prevent it from attracting dust and hair.
- Storage: When not in use, always store your hair scissors in a protective case or sheath. Avoid tossing them into a drawer with other tools, as this can lead to accidental damage or dulling of the blades. Keeping them in a dedicated case or on a scissor magnet rack ensures they remain in top condition.
- Professional Sharpening: Regular sharpening is essential to maintain the cutting performance of your hair scissors. While routine maintenance can be done at home, professional sharpening by a reputable service is recommended. Professional sharpening not only ensures optimal cutting performance but also extends the overall lifespan of your scissors.
- Proper Handling: Treat your hair scissors with care and avoid using them for tasks they are not intended for, such as cutting paper or fabric. Additionally, refrain from dropping or banging them against hard surfaces, as this can cause misalignment and damage to the blades.
Conclusion: Caring for your hair scissors is a crucial part of being a professional hairstylist. By following these tips on cleaning, lubrication, storage, sharpening, and proper handling, you can extend the life of your hair scissors and continue creating stunning hairstyles for years to come.